Monday, July 7, 2014

10 Day Blog Challenge - Day One

I found this prompt what seems Forever ago but just never got around to using it. Why? I'm not sure, I quite like the concept. I've also been to check out the website that it came from (my photographer mind got the best of me) and the chick has some talent! Loved her portraits, well worth a look.


There's a couple of reasons I like it.
It's organised in a certain way that just speaks to my OCD side. It also covers things that I haven't done before -  I find a lot of these challenges are the same and I keep repeating myself or even backlinking in a lazy effort! I could only do these with one of these, the others are all new ones! Very original.

My reason for choosing it now is that I've just started my 2 week school holiday non-contact time and excluding 'Things I'm Loving' and 'Silent Sunday' it will keep me blogging throughout the break :).

So, without further adieu, here is..

Day 1: Ten Reasons I love my job.
For those of your who might be new to 'Following Moonshadows', I'm a teacher.
I've been teaching for almost 10 years and I really am a teacher through and through. I've taught in low and high decile schools (High and low socio-economic areas) and across many levels - although I haven't braved the very littlies....just yet. There are a tonne of things I love about my job.

1. No day is the same. Some days are very similar, but there's always something new. Even when the class and I are in a routine, there are still little things that pop up each day - a story from home, a new joke to share, new learning, mistakes (yes, even mistakes!) - that make it new and exciting.

2. Stationery. I often joke that the reason I became a teacher is because of all the stationery... it's only half true.

3. Making a difference. Do I need to elaborate here? If I do, you can read a story of my teaching that I've already wrote about that always touches my heart. But, teachers all over the world do this in many, many big and small ways each and every day.


4. Making the most of being a life long learner. I wholeheartedly believe that there is no better job to ensure that you stay on top of your game, in many a subject, than Primary Teaching. Because we're jacks of all trades you often find our general knowledge is pretty good. You must first be somewhat of an expert in something before you're able to teach it well and because of this we're learning all the time. Add into that mix the learning you do from the students and you've really got a recipe for success.

5. I'm busy a lot of the time. Now, most people wouldn't like this, but if you know me at all, you know I do. I actually spent nights over the weekend making a maths resource that I've very chuffed with. Even when I'm not busy I make myself busy with teacher stuff - there's always something to do!


6. Kids are great fun! The hilarity that often occurs in my classroom should be bottled.
Now, I won't rose tint everything and say that I love them all, some are quite difficult to get on with, but I can say, without any hint of a lie, that there is something fantastic about every single student I've ever taught (that's getting up there around 2500 students!) They're funny and clever and amazingly talented. They surprise me constantly. Plus the fact that you get to keep up to speed on things like Moshi Monsters and Poptropica- the important stuff.

7. I'm doing something that I've been wanting to do since I can remember. I used to play schools as a child, now I get to play it for real - there seemed to be a lot less paperwork when I set tasks for my teddies though, hmmm...



8. 'Lightbulb moments'. Those times when you know the student just caught on to a concept you've been teaching, they've got it!

9. I'll always have a 'humourous name' story to tell... several in fact.

10. My colleagues. I've worked in 3 schools and in every one, the people I have worked with are great. Teachers are special people... in many ways.


No comments: