Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Memory is a diary we all carry around with us".

Day 14: Your earliest memory.

My earliest memory took place when I was around 2 years old (so I'm told). It was the night our border collie, german shepherd cross Toby ran out on to the busy road we lived on and was hit and killed by a car.  What a night to remember huh?  I don't remember the whole thing.  I just remember being outside with my dad letting my sister's car in as she came home from work. That's it.  But family members tell me this was the night Toby died.  I have faint memories of Toby (which would probably be my earliest memories) but they're very fleeting and it's this night that I can actually remember stills from.

From my childhood I remember spending lots of time with family, especially my Nana - I went to stay there during school holidays-, I remember annoying my brother when he was playing on the computer, it was always my turn if he was on there and I remember dressing up as a fairy to go to my kindergarten bike off! Thanks for the loan of the tinsel mum!

I like to think I have a fairly good memory for both things recent and past but I must say since being pregnant and being the mother to an almost 3 month old I've had a few of those memory brain cells fried.  One thing I'm also terrible at remembering are colours.  I can remember a moment perfectly and describe all details to you but I will remember something to be green when in reality it was red - block in the processing cortex perhaps?  The brain is a strange thing.

No comments: