Monday, November 28, 2011


Day 22: How have you changed in the past two years?

Two years ago - that's 2009 right? Wow... I've changed a a lot really.  Working at a different school, different last name, I'm now a mother, Vince died and we now have Jake.

I would have to say quite honestly that 2009 was the worst year of my life - I wasn't enjoying my job, it was just over a year after Dad had passed away (December 2007) and my close family was pretty much self imploding without Dad to keep us all together. It's funny.  I am so happy with things now that I completely forgot how horrible '09 was until I started to have a think to write this.

In 2009 we were living where we are now, having owned the house for 2 years. I had just left the first teaching job I ever had after 3 years and was starting at another school - one it turns out did not really sit with me very well.  I had a difficult class (which I usually excel with) and although there were some great people at the school who were both supportive and good friends, a mixture of what I will lightly brush over as 'management issues' and things not sitting in well with my own personal teaching philosophy - I didn't like it one bit. 
A close family member was going off the rails due to dad's passing and the term 'emotional roller coaster' doesn't even start to describe this aspect of my life at the time. I really don't know what I would have done without my sister at this stage - I think she got me through it and I owe her a lot for that. Thanks Sis!

2009


But, as a quote that I love goes, "Every day is not good but there is something good in every day". And I think that can go for years too - Every year is not good but there is something good in every year.  Mr. Man and I got engaged in May of 2009 and also getting our first Rottweiler, Vince,  is something that sticks out. I vividly remember the day we decided to get a dog (and there was no question it would be a rottie).  It was a Saturday in July and we had been traveling the countryside looking at wedding venues. We were sitting in the car at Cornwall Park eating lunch and chatting. I don't recall how it came up but Mr. Man said we should get a dog and I jumped on the opportunity.  The next weekend we had our little man Vince.

But the question was how have I changed. Well, I'm a wife and a mother now. I love my job and I love the people I work with. My family life is a lot better, not like it was before dad died, I don't think it ever will be but the family feeling we have now is a lot closer to what it used to be. Our first little man Vince was tragically taken away in 2010 but we are lucky enough to have the gorgeous Jake now.

I'm essentially the same person but I'm much more happier with life than I was 2 years ago. 2009 was a dark place for me and I'm just so lucky to have such a great partner and sister that helped me through it. Viva la 2011 and beyond!

2011

No comments: