Monday, October 20, 2014

"Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness"

I'm going to put it out there...I love food. I love making it, trying new things, I love sugar, I love bread and cheese and all the things I shouldn't. And for way too long I've allowed myself to just eat what I want, when I want. It's not for lack of knowing about healthy choices, calories, input in and output out, 3kg of muscle equals so much fat and blah blah - I know it all, I've just chosen to disregard it, and in the process neglect myself.

I got away with it for a little while. I've never been thin, ever, but I look back on photos of myself when I was 18 and wish I was that skinny. I've always liked that quote I see hanging around online - "I wish I was as thin as I was when I thought I was fat" - and that is so true for me. The Wednesday - Saturday nights dancing up a storm in clubs kept me a size I would be very happy with now, but alas, for the last 10 years I've ballooned to a size that hinders my confidence.

It's not about a number for me, that's simply a way of tracking how I'm going. It's not about any number: not on the scales, no on a measuring tape, not on a label on a pair of jeans. For me it's about confidence. I see lots of beautiful clothes that I'd love to wear, but, if I can fit into it (and that's often a long shot),  I lack the confidence to wear it. It's also about my health. I'm not 18 anymore. I can see the lack of good health in my skin, and if I can see my skin is awful imagine what my insides are like.

Today I've started on a long journey, a change. Not a diet, because I've done that before, and it never lasts. A lifestyle change, as cliche as that sounds. Putting all of those things I know into action.

So here we go....
Here's to a change.
Here's to being able to choose something in a store and be happy with how it looks.
Here's to not always wanting to take selfies on a certain angle.
Here's to showing my girls how to be healthy and love their bodies.
I'm excited!

I've gone gung-ho on my juicer, again. Every time I use it I love it. I have a million juices pinned and a huge recipe book of juices so that I don't get bored with one kind. This is the juice of choice this week, and look at how organised I am!


I have an experiment with some of the cut up fruit later on in the week to see if the bags that have been pre-frozen are as good as the fresh ones earlier this week. Look at this yummy green concoction.

I've also got back into using the Myfitnesspal app. It's such a motivating tool.. and it's free! I'd totally recommend it. I use it on my iPhone but you can download it on any smart device or if you don't have one you can use it directly on the web.

Adding in foods is so easy and my favourite part is that at the end of every day when you submit your eating it tells you how much you could potentially weigh in 5 weeks if you continue the way you have that day. So motivating!

Another way I'm tracking things is with this cute little idea. The cup on the left has 50 stones in it (I'm wanting to lose 30kg initially but between 40 and 50 would be optimal). Each kg I lose, I move a stone over into the other cup. I like how visual it is. I've made the following signs to go above the cups too, just waiting for them to be printed.


I don't think I have all the answers, far from it, but I'm keen to share my journey to help myself and to hopefully motivate somebody else.

No comments: