Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - A honey conclusion

Well, I've all but exhausted one of my free honey treats from Mother Earth over the last three weeks and will no doubt demolish the last on our toast over the next wee while.

I've really enjoyed being re-inspired to use honey in my cooking and baking, both sweet and savoury and have found some recipes along the journey that I will make time and again.

This week I made...

Cinnamon Honey Creme Brulee
Just be prepared that they are very, very sickly sweet. Also in the sickly sweet category...
Homemade Honey Ice Cream
I haven't eaten it yet, only tested it, so no photo, but it's delicious!

And last but not least, yesterday Leah and I whipped up these yummy spiced biscuits.

I'm glad to have been reunited with this cooking ingredient and will be continuing to use the Mother Earth range in the future. Recipes still on my list to try are...
Honey Rolls
Raw chocolate smoothie
Honey Lemon Chicken

Here are some other tips and uses you may not have thought of for honey.
Top Ten Honey Tips:

1. Store honey at room temperature rather than in the fridge. Keep it tightly covered in a safe place.

2. Honeyed butter can be used to season cooked potatoes of veges. Mix four parts butter with one part honey.

3. Tea isn't the only hot beverage that tastes better with a little honey. For a cocktail that's easy on the taste buds and guaranteed to warm you up, try a hot toddy - honey is a key ingredient.

4. Honey is rich in minerals and nutrients, and can give us natural energy and boost the immune system. It's great for soothing sore throats.

5. When measuring honey for baking, first coat the measuring spoon with a small amount of oil so the honey won't stick.

6. Sometimes when honey is left unused it naturally crystalises in the jar. Honey can be liquified by microwaving for about 30 seconds or in a pan of hot water over a low heat until the crystals dissolve. Make sure you remove the lid!

7. Honey can be used to sweeten soups. try drizzling a bit of honey on your favourite spicy or roast vegetable soup just before serving.

8. Try using honey in your next salad dressing - honey, lemon juice, olive oil and fresh herbs. Divine taste of summer!

9. A drizzle of sweey honey is the perfect contrast to salty cheese, such as, a nicewedge of blue cheese, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with chopped pecans or walnuts.

10. Add a teaspoon of mild-flavoured honey to cream while you beat it. It keeps it firmer and for longer.


Thanks again to Mother Earth for the goodies they provided. They definitely got me reinvigorated about honey. I'm loving it now, and I've learned that my little mini me loves it too - she's still raving about those ice-blocks.


The Mother Earth range is available in supermarkets nationwide and ranges from a RRP of $7.99. 
Get amongst it!

No comments: