Thursday, September 11, 2014

3 Year old Thursday - Screen Time and Balloon Paddles

With me being at home on maternity leave, Leah is leaving home later in the morning to go to daycare and getting home earlier in the afternoon. This could have potentially meant that she was watching more TV (and if it was Dad that was at home, it probably would have!).



I've never been terribly worried about Leah watching TV. She's very busy at daycare doing a variety of rich activities, so I wasn't bothered that she watched TV when she got home as hey, that's all I want to do when I get home from a full day's work! I've read a tonne about what is advised for screen time, but it never seemed to be an issue with Leah. She has great language and vocabulary, her imagination is great and she loves books as well as stories on the iPad or programmes on the television. If anything it seemed to stimulate her imagination and vocabulary - I never talked to her about the red light meaning stop and the green meaning go, but the teacher fish in Bubble Guppies did and now I get a lecture every time we stop at the lights!

In saying all this, I have limited what we're currently watching for a few reasons. Leah has a plethora of toys and although they get a good playing with in the weekends, we need to put more time into this. I also wanted to provide some more rich 'Mummy and Leah' activities - for this series, for some bonding time now that the new baby is here as well as some time away from the screen. Mr. Man and I also wanted to reclaim our TV in the evenings. It's coming along nicely... and the lure of these fun activities here and there have sure helped.

So what do we have in store this week?


When looking for fun things to do with my little tyke I gravitate towards ideas that use every day items. This is because it's more likely that we'll continue to do it if the things are easily accessible at home. Even better is when we can make something to use again and again. This activity brought those two ideals together.

All you need is a couple of plastic plates (or cardboard ones would work also), some kind of 'handle'; we used plastic knives but you could use pens or pencils, a ruler or anything strong enough really, and a balloon. If you're a bit nerdy like me and have a vivid lying around you could also draw some snazzy faces like we have.

Attach the handle to the back of the plate with sticky tape, and do your cool doodling if you're as rad as me...and voila!


Leah loves it. It's easy for her to hit the 'ball' and it's a great little gross motor skill activity.  She likes that she can play the game both by herself and with others.

I hope your little one enjoys Balloon Paddles as much as mine.


No comments: