Thursday, January 5, 2012

More of the same :)

I've been loving having my husband home so much that I've forgotten about you all, my adoring fans. Lol yeah right.  All 3 of you!

But... not all has been lost.  I've been pretty busy. Getting out making the most of my holidays with friends - had another lovely trip to the Botanical Gardens today - see photos below.  Most taken by my wonderful photographer friend Lynn. But unfortunately haven't been able to get out to any of the other Parks I have in mind because of our stupid wet Auckland weather at the moment - boo.

I've also been meaning to write about the 101 challenges as my entry each day but as I said - have just been too busy makin' memories, so I'll update ya today (:

There are a few items on the 101 list that I've begun but will not be crossing off until they're done because of the nature in which I've worded them.  Eg: 2. Get the family together consistently on a monthly basis for dinners & 5. Write in my journal on a regular basis.  The words 'consistently' and 'regular basis' mean that I have to be doing those things for a good chunk of time before I consider them 'done' but I have made a dent.  October of 2011 was our first official family dinner that I got everyone together for and we've had one each month since - October was at our place, November was at Mums, Christmas day was December's and my birthday will be this month's get together. I even created a timetable so that we won't forget...or at least I won't and then I can annoy everyone and make it happen.  So we're doing well there.

I've also started a journal.  It took me ages to figure out what I wanted to use.  I have wanted to be able to keep a journal for as long as I remember.  I used to write one between the ages of 13 and 15 and they're funny bone tickling to read now. But try and try as I may - keeping a handwritten journal NEVER seemed to stick.  So it took me a very long time to figure out how I was going to keep a journal digitally.  There are some cool apps for iPad but I don't have a wireless keyboard and didn't really want to buy one so that was out (finger tapping a whole journal entry would be death as far as I'm concerned).  After many weeks of thinking I finally decided on a blogger blog - just one that I keep private.  Have since made 5 entries and it's so easy to just tap away while I watch TV.  Yes I know last nights entry (shown in pic) is a slight cop out :P.  I love it.  Fingers crossed this is the way that keeps me going with journalling - I'll be damned if I don't finish this list!



For challenge #11. Learn to say hello, goodbye and thank you in 20 different languages. I have made a little table of the languages I want to learn and these 3 things said in those languages...now to study.....

For #12. Write a bucket list I've taken huge inspiration from tumblrs like this and this and have begun a board on pinterest with some of these things on. In the style of the first linked tumblr I have begun to make little cards and will then attach them to a frame I make (see both the cards I've begun to make and the idea for the frame below).


I think I've found my poem for #76. Find a favourite piece of poetry – frame it, hang it, but will wait it out and search a little longer before I decide it's my framer.  It might be used for my other challenge of choose a poem to memorise but me thinks Shakespeare might have to appear for that one. This is the poem I adore.

I promise myself…
to be so strong that nothing can disturb my peace of mind;
to talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person I meet;
to make all my friends feel that there is something worthwhile in them;
to look at the sunny side of everything and make my optimism come true;
to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best;
to be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own;
to forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future;
to wear a cheerful expression at all times and give a smile to every living creature I meet;
to give so much time to improving myself that I have no time to criticize others;
to be too large for worry,
too noble for anger,
too strong for fear,
and too happy to permit the presence of trouble;
to think well of myself and to proclaim this fact to the world, not in loud word, but in great deeds;
to live in the faith that the whole world is on my side, so long as I am true to the best that is in me.
Christian D. Larson



And lastly, I've made a fairly sizable dent in #69. Read 20 new books. And a few old and dear ones. In fact my friend Lynn who took most of the beautiful photos at the top of the post blogged about reading yesterday and got me to thinking about what I have left and what to read. So far I've read 4 ology books which I blogged about here (I only counted this as 1 off my 20 as they are such an easy read). I read the whole 'Hunger Games' series after being recommended it by a work friend as well as the fact that it looks like the movie is going to be the next best thing and I really like reading books of movies - before I watch if I can. I loved the series - couldn't put the iPad (with kindle app (recommend!!!)) down. I'd read it if I were you :)



I've just begun to read "The Land of Painted Caves"....again.  I started earlier in the year when Mr. Man bought the book for me but didn't get into it. It's the 6th and final book in the 'Earth Children's' series which I've read all of.  I think I'm in a better head space to finish it now (read:not pregnant and uncomfortable when reading in bed) so that will be #5 of 20 down. Which begs the question (and hopefully fulfills Lynn's request) what to read for the remaining 15 and what are old favourites?


These are some I know I will need to include in the 15;
  • Seriously I'm kidding - Ellen DeGeneres
  • The Green Mile - Stephen King (A movie I love but a book I haven't read) and possibly more Stephen King depending on how this goes - I really like 'Misery' (both movie and book) and enjoy many of the movies based on his books.
  • The millenium series (The girl with the dragon tattoo, The girl who played with fire and The girl who kicked the hornets nest- Stieg Larsson
  • Room - Emma Donoghue
  • Storm Born - Richelle Mead
  • The True Blood series
I also want to attempt the first Harry Potter book again to see if I can get into it - based on last times attempt it's highly unlikely, but you never know. And 'The Whitcoulls Top 100 books" will help me with the rest.

And old favourites?
I'll have to go with 'Bridget Jones's Diary' by Helen Fielding, 'The Clan of the Cave Bear' by Jean M. Auel some Marian Keyes and possibly even the first novel of The Hunger Games series again - that's how much I liked it.  Think I might read 'The Witches' by Roald Dahl again too (:

4 comments:

Ms F said...

What a fabulous read your post is today, Kate - well done! No BABBLING (private joke eh Kate) at all. You are achieving so much, and are very inspiring I must say!
Good luck with the Painted Caves book - Mum was disappointed You have convinced me to give the Hunger Games a go... and of course - Marian Keyes should be on my list... Though I haven't read her for so long that I can't think of which would be a favourite.

LatteJunkie said...

I hope you don't mind but I've borrowed some of your great ideas for my 33 goals for my 33rd year.

I especially love the learning basic phrases in 20 languages.

The Hunger Games was awesome. Have you read When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman? It's also really worth a look :)

louloumaj said...

Love todays read!! Love love love it!

Amanda said...

I love reading your blog, love all the different things you do and achieve, i just hate how lazy it makes me feel! I need to do something, but start small i think! :)