Thursday, July 7, 2011

"Television: A medium - so called because it is neither rare nor well done."

I return again.  This time I can't blame my slow internet but just my slow self, been incredibly busy the past few days and I'm upset that I even missed a 'Wordless Wednesday'.  I will make it up by posting 2 photos on Sunday.

I come today bearing a list! There's nothing that I love more than a list for getting things done or compiling - great things!
A writing prompt from 'Mumma's losin' it' this week;
A list of 10 old TV shows you'd like to make a comeback

I'm afraid seeing my age that many of these will be cartoons, so bear with me.  You might even be surprised :)

1)  Denver the Dinosaur!
He is a dinosaur that skates... end of effing story.
Not to mention an electric intro!

2) Murder in Small Town X.
A little while ago I was talking about this programme trying to remember it's name.  I'm one of these people who can't stand not remembering something so had to post a question on an internet forum which of course got me what I was looking for.  Thank god for the internet!

Murder in Small Town X was probably one of the very first reality shows originally screening in the States in Mid 2001.  The premise of the show was to drop 10 would be detectives into a faux fishing community to solve an acted murder.

It was very good really.  Each week the contestants would complete challenges and find clues with 2 of the hopefuls going to secret locations and only one returning.  The other having been 'offed' by the murderer.


3) Sailor Moon.

All the girls I knew, loved and wanted to be sailor moon or one of her Sailor friends.  Mars was my lady. Since my innocent childhood days I've heard some pretty seedy secrets about our Sailor Moon - not cool!
Still love it regardless.




4)  Samurai Pizza Cats.

I have no real idea what this cartoon was about.  As with Denver it had an AMAZING intro, catchy as heck and I remember loving watching at.  Viva la Samurai Pizza Cats!




5) Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Surprised? It must have first aired at least 30 years before I was born, it's in black and white and it hasn't even been on the TV in my lifetime.  How on earth can I like this show?

My love of anything Alfred Hitchcock started when I saw the remade version of Psycho and in my 6th form year of school with taking Media Studies.  What an amazing man. I came across this series after reading the book 1001 TV shows you should watch before you die (told you I like lists!).

Since reading that book I've bought Season 1, 2 and 3 on DVD and LOVE them. So clever.  And what's better is that you can see the story lines and influences come out in many of today's shows and movies. Just shows how before his time he was.

Oh I almost forgot to comment on the little introductions by Alfred of every episode.  This was the best part.  Something I think TV now days is missing.  LOVE! <3

6) Pee Wee's super fun house.

I have great memories of watching this at my Nana's house.

7) Full House.

Nostalgia packed sit com this one!
I might also add that 'Step by step', 'Family matters' and a few others fit into this category, including Fresh Prince of Bel Air (which I know plays reruns on Saturdays).  I suppose everything needs to come to an end, and that's probably what makes us pine for them so much.  Reruns = GOLD, keep '
em coming.

8) Saved by the bell.

This could probably have fit into the #7 but definitely deserved it's own place in my ten. This used to air on Saturdays when I was about 13 or 14 and I HAD to make sure I was home to watch it. Lol. Great little teen comedy.

9) The Addams Family.

I used to watch this as a kid - clearly reruns but still ever so relevant.  Probably more so than some of the last few items in my list.  I could watch the Addam's family over and over again and not get sick of it.  Infact, I've done this very thing and found pointing out stuff like the lion at the top of the stairs shot coming on over and over again always makes me giggle.


10) Sex and the City.

 I came across Sex and the City even after it had finished airing in NZ, quite a while after in fact.
Spurred on again by my 1001 Tv shows book I thought it was about time I gave it ago, and fell head over heels in love.
I'm not much into fashion or that sort of thing but the romantic plot lines, New York and the little bit of myself I could see in all of the girls.
VIVA LA Sex and the City... the movies just aren't cutting it I'm afraid.

See you tomorrow for 'Things I'm Loving'.

No comments: