Monday, December 12, 2011

I've seen fire and I've seen rain...

I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend...
but I always thought that I'd see you again."



It's 4 years today since my dad passed away.  I know I wanted to write something about him today but I'm sitting here, tears rolling down my face, gathering photos for the post and listening to James Taylor, not really knowing what to write.

I love how proud dad looks in this photo.  He's looking on at Mr. Man and I opening our housewarming gifts.



Below is a copy of what I wrote to read at Dad's funeral.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever done but I'm glad I did it.

I feel a bit guilty for feeling so sad today.  Dad would have hated to think that we're all here sad that he's not.  For the most part we don't dwell on things.  Almost every day I find Mr. Man and I saying to each other 'who does that remind you of' or 'that's a dad moment isn't it?'. So today I'll remember all the things that made us love him so much, I'm sure he would approve of that.

To start I'll tell the infamous MFRM story that I refer to in my speech. It shows how cheeky dad was and how he taught me to have fun and a good laugh.  Just know that I can't tell a story as well as he did.

Dad worked at the BHP Steelmill and had all my life. After having worked there for so long lots of new people were being employed there that had qualifications - bachelors and wot not. He was going to a management meeting of sorts one day which had a sign in sheet.  Browsing the sign in sheet he saw that all the attendees had qualifications after their names - "J. Bloggs DipBa....." - dad, not to be outdone by any of these show offs decided that even though he did not have any qualifications he would just make one up. A Pearcey MFRM he wrote. Others at the meeting began nudging each other and pointing at this qualification and whispering behind hands.  It must be very prestigious if a room full of such educated people didn't know it's meaning. Feeling very chuffed with himself Dad never told them that MFRM stood for 'Master fishing reel mechanic'.


To this day the clock in our house is on 'Pearcey time' which is 5 minutes (or more) faster than actual time. Thanks dad, I'm never late!

I talked in my speech about how Dad would pick my friends and I up from anywhere, at any time if we needed him to.  Often making more than one trip late in the night and making sure everyone got home safe.  You could always count on him, and he wouldn't even be grumpy about it. I didn't know how lucky I was at the time but my god do I know now. What an amazing person to have as a parent.  What an amazing role model to aspire to be like.

Dad and I.  As you can see I don't know who it is.  Think the wristwatch would have given him away.

I wish he was around to see Leah.  My uncle who walked me down the aisle in Dad's place sent a text to me this morning saying that he was thinking of us and how it's a shame dad never got to meet Leah but he's sure he's watching over her. I couldn't agree more.  I think about it often actually, and she would have loved him as much as we all do. She may not get to meet him but she will know who her Grandad was and what an amazing man we all miss - how could she not when we talk about him so much?

I love you dad.  You're my hero and I'll always miss you. xox

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mate that's a beautiful blog. You are so good with expressing what we are all feeling today. I still really miss Al so much,and think about him alot.Luv mum xxx

Ms F said...

Kate, I never met your Dad, but believe me when say that these days when I hear my fave Foos song I think of you both!
Also, my fiance, also 'academic qualification devoid', refers to himself as having a Q.B.E. - Qualified By Experience. I think maybe we have similar male influences then :)