Tuesday, December 6, 2011

50 Questions to Free Your Mind.

Phew! Another 101 challenge bites the dust:
46. Answer the "50 questions that will free your mind".

These questions have no right or wrong answers.
Because sometimes asking the right questions is the answer.

How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
I’m mature and immature in different ways so it would depend what situation you put me in and the people you put me with.  Playing silly buggers with Mr. Man you could probably put me at 16. Management meeting at work you could put me at my chronological age of 25 or older. At the stage of life I’m at most people would probably say around 30.

Which is worse, failing or never trying?
Simple - never trying, by a long shot.

If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
Personally? Fear of failure or looking stupid to others. Money restrictions. Because it needs to get done and I can’t pay someone else to do it (cleaning the oven!). Because life needs that balance, otherwise you’d turn into a spoiled little brat ala Hollywood Heiresses.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
No.

What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
Cruelty to young children and animals. Child and animal abuse and neglect stories on the news sicken me. I look at little Leah and I look at Jake and wonder how anyone could ever do anything to hurt them. Children and animals are such precious little things.  They have all the joy in the world on their faces and in their spirits and I love how it just exudes from them effortlessly.  I hate how this can be taken away by people that are cruel to them.  A cowering dog or one of those caged dancing bears in Asia is what it looks like when you’ve had the light sucked out of you.  It’s disgusting and it needs to stop.

If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
Doing what I’m doing now - teaching :).

Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
I’m doing what I believe in...for the most part.

If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
I’d read a lot more.  I’d bite the bullet and pay someone to clean the house so that the house would be clean (and I would stay sane and happy because of this fact) but I’d have more time to do the things that make me happy. I wouldn’t spend any of my weekend just sitting around the house doing nothing. I’d stop wasting my time checking facebook constantly. I’d make a more conscious effort to get together with friends and family more often.

To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
I’ve controlled quite a lot of what’s happened in my life. I like being in control of what is happening to me.  The only thing I feel I’m not good at controlling is my weight.  I like food, it’s a curse! But I think I’m taking control of that now too, small bit by small bit.

Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
Doing things right.
You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire.  They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend.  The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.  What do you do?
I would like to shut it down immediately but I probably wouldn’t be able to.  I wouldn’t join in but probably just shut up.

If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?
Strive to be the most positive person you can be.


Would you break the law to save a loved one?
Yes. There would be a lot of laws I couldn’t break though - speeding, yes, hiding someone who was hiding from the law, possibly, killing someone , no. I say yes because I think in the moment I would do a lot for a loved one, things I would never imagine doing otherwise...scary.

Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
Ummmmm....??

What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
I’m sure there’s at least one person out there that does everything  I do. Some of my weirder traits?  I over organise - I mean OVER THE TOP.  I have to use the same coloured pegs when hanging out washing - can’t have green and pink on the same garment. The volume has to be set to an even number if it’s a numeric set up. I get irritated if I know something needs to be done or isn’t done the way I like it and I must remedy it as soon as possible - even if someone is watching or I’m supposed to be engrossed in something else.  This becomes rude when I’m talking to someone and I have to move a book or the like to the right angle position as we’re talking.

How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?
Because there are different strokes for different folks. I think this is why I was a grumpy teenager.  Why doesn’t everyone like things the way I do?  They should!  I’ve since learned ‘everyone to their own’ but what irritates me about it is that to show an opinion is often like declaring war to some people.  Problem for them is I love to argue :D.

What one thing have you not done that you really want to do?  What’s holding you back?
Get down to a goal weight and maintain it. I hold myself back.  My willpower is shocking.

Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
Yes. I’m slowly letting go.

If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?
If I had to move indefinitely I would have to go some place that is a lot like NZ - Australia, The states, Canada.  I don’t like being too far out of my comfort zone.

Do you push the elevator button more than once?  Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?
Yes and yes (?).  I desperately want to believe so.

Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?
Worried genius.

Why are you, you?
Because if I wasn’t me, who else would I be?

Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?
Sometimes.  I have a bad habit of not keeping in touch well.  If you’re not a big user of facebook it’s likely that I will only talk to you when you get in touch with me - I’m not good with the phone.

Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?
From experience, losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you. I found the good friend moving away helped me keep in touch.  We probably talked more than we do now they’re back! It’s the same when my husband goes away on work, we talk more on the phone than we would if he came home for the night. Go figure! That sounds bad, my husband and I love each other’s company and are solid enough we can do so without prattling on too much :) better? Lol

What are you most grateful for?
My family and that I had the upbringing I had. Thanks mum and dad!

Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?
Never be able to make new ones.  Losing my memory is a bit of a fear I have.

Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?
Yes, you know your truth.  And sometimes even when another person’s truth is shared with you, you still only truly believe your truth, what you know, what you’ve seen.

Has your greatest fear ever come true?
Yes.  I didn’t know it was my greatest fear before it happened but once it did I was terrified and I don’t think I’ll ever get over it.

Don’t you love how vague I’m being with some of these?

Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset?  Does it really matter now?
Some do and some don’t Being upset that my father was terminally ill and was going to die? Yes.  Bawling my eyes out after my first fight with Mr. Man and whatever I was upset about concerning the fight? No, in fact.. I can remember the fight but not what it was about.

What is your happiest childhood memory?  What makes it so special?
I’ve thought and thought about this and the one thing that sticks out the most is spending time with my Nana, spending school holidays at her house and one memory in particular when we were camping at Houhora and we visited Wagner Museum and got a pie and milkshake for lunch. What makes it so special?  Nana made it special.  Nana made you feel special, like you were the only person in the world to her at that time.  I strive to be like that. I want to make people feel like she made me feel.

At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?
Now. Having a newborn has made me a passionate about being a great mother.  I’m inspired by her.

If not now, then when?
Later?

If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?
Nothing. :)

Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?
Yes. When Mr. Man and I first started dated we would drive to Ollies for an ice cream now and then. I remember one night in particular after we’d been there, on our way home, Mr. Man driving the commodore and me in the passengers seat resting my head on his shoulder and holding his hand.  We said nothing all the way home and when he dropped me off I was on top of the world.

Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?
People twist the goodness of a religion into cult behaviour quite a lot of the time. As with anything Religion is in the interpretation and those eggs that start wars have interpreted things all wrong.

Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?
Most of the time yes but not always.  There are some slippery gypsies out there and differentiating which of them/it is good and which is not is a HUGE task.

If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?
I love this question because whenever I get asked it the reaction to my ‘yes’ is “WHAT?!?!”
I love my job.  Whether I would do the exact same hours has changed now I have a little one because I want to spend heaps of time with her and if I could financially support that I would but being on maternity leave has definitely cemented the fact that I would miss work if I didn’t have it.

Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?
Less house work please - can you banish the existence of dust, grime and mould for me please?  Thank you! <3

Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?
No. Every day is a little bit different.  I like the consistency in my life and I like the little changes too.

When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?
Never.  I more of a person who will let a few others march first and I’ll tiptoe behind them... and I’m OK with that :).

If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?
Mum, Mike, Andrea... and I’d make sure that Leah, Mr. Man and Jake were with me. There are so many people I would want to see that I think it’s best I scrap everyone else and concentrate on this small lot that are the nearest of the near and the dearest of the dear.

Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?
No, bring on the wrinkles!

What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
Being present and making the most of situations and opportunities. Making the most of the time you have rather than just existing.

When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?
For me?  Usually somewhere between checking my bank account funds and the check out counter.
If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?
Because at the time, it sucks!

What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?
A lot of things. I don’t know why I care so much about what people think.  Even complete strangers.  Must change this.

When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?
In bed the last few nights as there has been a lack of breathing and an abundance of coughing.

What do you love?  Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?
I love my family.  I love making things and making things pretty. I love Jake. I love my iPad. Lol.  My photography expresses my love as I photograph the things that I love mostly.  So yes I have openly expressed my love because I share my photos with anyone who wants a squizz!

In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday?  What about the day before that?  Or the day before that?
Not in detail. The photo a day challenges will help me to remember parts which I think is really cool. I often feel like I’m always living in the future - organising things for tomorrow, getting this ready for the weekend, saving for... etc. Taking millions of photos a day will help me to remember what is happening and what is making me happy right at this moment.

Decisions are being made right now.  The question is:  Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?
A bit of both...and I think it’s the way that it needs to be.  If you let others make too many decisions for you you’re a push over and don’t own anything you do but if you make all the decisions yourself you’re not open to advice from others and you become conceited and arrogant. I like to think I do a bit of both.  I have ideas of my own and I try to take on advice from others to shape these ideas.

1 comment:

Ms F said...

Love it. I concur with many of your responses.