Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hello 2014! I'm a failure!

Last year I challenged myself to 52 goals to complete. I didn't complete them all. Here are my failures and my excuses (LOL!). Luckily for me I'm a firm believer in 'if you're not making mistakes you aren't learning'.

1 Choose one thing from Pinterest a week and do it.
 Now I definitely did some of this....but somewhere during 2013 pinterest didn't become as all encompassing and appealing to me as it originally did. I got on the pinterest bandwagon very early in the piece (around early 2011) and although I think it's very useful and full of great ideas, I just don't use it the way I used to...or have found other things to replace the obsession at the moment. Now don't get me wrong - I definitely did use it for baking and making ideas and love searching it for help with things, but I must confess that #1 on my list, was a fail.

2 Make an emergency binder - see 52 to 52 pinterest board.
Thought about it... and then decided F**k that! hehe

4 Make Leah a pillowcase dress 
I have bought everything I need for this and am looking forward to making it over the next couple of weeks. This was just one where there was no way I was getting it done in a very busy Term 4 when the weather was getting hot enough to wear it.

9 Use my giant pile of recipe mags somehow.
I'm actually really pissed off to have to call this one a failure, because I'm so close. I've used about 85% of my magazines and am just working through the last few now and it's done! It's been a really rewarding experience as my and the people around me and their stomachs will testify to!


12 Build up a basic wardrobe - see pinterest 'my style' board for list.
I just keep putting this off. I shouldn't, but I do. I use the excuse that I want to lose more weight before I get clothes otherwise it's a waste of money. It's a valid excuse but my wardrobe is looking very lackluster currently. Ho hum!

16 Learn more about photography using my photography tutorial pins.
Why oh why won't I do this? No time, that's why! Need to make time for this, but I am doing OK without it. OK being the operative. 

17 Watch star wars films
How easy was this one and I couldn't do it? Slap on the wrists time. Planning to over the summer.

20 Restore nana's china cabinet
I did look into this right back at the beginning of 2013. The wood at the top is fairly cheap and has an overlay on it so it wasn't as easy as sanding and varnishing, hence, no dice.

21 Learn how to use photoshop.
I am sad to say that I made no attempt to do this. I did although purchase a year's subscription to picmonkey.com aaaaaaand managed to be awarded 'Top digital image of the year' at my photo club with a photo that I enhanced on there. Not too bad for a beginner and a fairly basic editing suite! This is the photo.

25 Read/do something with all of my books. Any ones that haven't been read/used by the end of the year will be sold.
In the process of culling these books during the holidays.

26. Get a stamp book and present all my stamps nicely.
Another one I'm pissed off I couldn't cross off. I'm about 3/4 of the way done with this.
36. Create and order a necklace from Origami owl
I got one all ready to pay for and send and then thought to myself that 'this is way too overpriced for what it is... I'd rather spend my money on geek stuff on etsy'... so I did.

38. Save all my spending money for 2 pay weeks and then blow it all in one go.
I couldn't do this. How sad is that? I'd really like to be able to. I did although manage to save up over $2000 for my mixer and my phone this year so I can't really be too grumpy at myself. I'd still like to try and do this one in the future.
47. Do another drawing challenge. 
Almost done! Hoping to finish over the holidays.
So that's what? Like a 75% pass rate. I'll take it. Especially because there are a few that will still get done and I had so many great successes with the list....Like...
  • I have made a real conscious effort to try new recipes this year and because of this I've found some yummy new family favourites.
  • I went to the Matakana markets and made my way over to Waiheke which are both things I've been wanting to do for a long time.
  • My vision board is truly rockin'.  
  • I got my full driver's license. Something that was a very long time in the making.
  • Yes, my hello kitty glasses are greater than everything you own combined!
  • I saved up for my kitchenaide AND my iPhone. Now that's financial goals making a difference right there. I love both my big purchases so much and I'm so proud of myself for making the effort to do it on my own.
 
 And there's also a bunch of other little things that I'm truly happy I've done, or have begun to do.

But alas, as much as I love my lists they will be used in a much more down scaled attempt this year (perhaps with a resurgence at the beginning of next year with a 30 things before 30 theme) with only really using the 'Weekly 10' and concentrating more on myself.

Happy new year everyone. I hope that your year is full of failures and that you learn and grow from each and everyone. They're a necessary part of life, don't dwell on them, grow from them.

xox
 

 

No comments: