Wednesday, December 12, 2012

“The heart of a father is the masterpiece of nature.”

Many people have been very excited about 12/12/12. Me, not so much. This date marks 5 years since dad passed away. 5 years? Can't believe it. Feels like yesterday.

I've actually written about Dad  quite a lot;
"I've seen fire and I've seen rain"
A joke that always made me laugh
"He didn't tell me how to live. He lived, and let me watch him do it"
6 word memoir

I think you write best about where your heart lies and where your fondest memories are. A lot of mine are with dad. Which is why I think I write about him often. So today I wanted to not dwell on the sadness of him not being here but the happiness, laughter and joy he brought to us all when he was here.



Things I remember about my dad;
  • Watching Bill Hohepa fishing shows on the couch with him when I was a kid, watching the water drip down his can of Rheineck.
  • Taking multiple weekends shopping around to find the best deal on any big purchase.
  • Master of popcorn popping.
  • That stupid mustache he grew up north one year.
  • Fishing at Henderson and Spirits Bay.
  • Watching Warriors games lying on the lounge floor.
  • How well he told a story.
  • Silly Dad jokes.
  • His laugh.
  • Our lengthy teenage 'talks' (read: telling off, but not in the growly way, more in the 'I'm disappointed in you Kate' way)
  • Showing off his stupid folding chair.
  • Being 'growly bear' for my nieces when he got home from work.
  • How he was always ready to help and was always happy to do so.
  • Vacumming to Enrique Iglasias.
  • Talking on the phone for hours....to Uncle Kev, Nana, Aunty Sheryl, Andrea....anyone really!
  • Listening to 'America's Greatest Hits' over and over and OVER again. (Great album by the way!).
  • Being a genuine silly bugger all the time.
  • Hearing stories about cowboys and 'knife man' with Uncle Trev. I still LOL at the thought of 'knife man'.
  • "Don't be too late!"
I'm sure there's lots of things others can remember about him too. I definitely know my friend Nicola will always talk about the obsessive, compulsive emergency brake behaviour. Lol.


I love you dad. I miss you every single day so very, very much. Thank you for all the things you did for all of us. You were an amazing man that will never be forgotten. <3


"Kudos my hero
Leaving all the best
You got my hero
One that's on

There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes
There goes my hero
He's ordinary"

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautifully written x

Unknown said...

Love it and yes I will never forget the hand break attacks, love it :) xx

Unknown said...

Love it and yes I will always remember the had break attacks :P xx