Monday, August 18, 2014

"You are never too old to set another goal or dream another dream."



I'm getting old! I've always been quite an old soul so I'm not that concerned about it... what I am concerned about is making my life the best that it can be and using the time that I've got wisely, not frittering it away.

There's where my challenges come in. So far I've completed;
101 challenge - 101 challenges in over just over a year, and
52 in 52 - 52 goals over 52 weeks (or a year).

With the upcoming 3rd decade birthday in just under 1 1/2 years, I thought it was time that I undertook a 30 goals before I turn 30. Over the past few months I've been compiling a list. Looking at a bunch of other lists on blogs and asking my friends and family. 15 goals were pretty easy to come up with.... after that it became quite difficult. I now think I'm at a point where I'm really happy with my list and if I have these all successfully completed by the time I'm 30, I'll be a happy camper.

So here it is, you'll also be able to find this list here, and the progress on it in various blog posts with the tag '30 before 30' over the next 16 months.

1. Have or be pregnant with Baby #2
The thinking behind this one is that there won't be a HUGE gap between siblings in this instance. Luckily for me this one will already have a huge tick in about 3 weeks. Now how's that for efficiency?

2. Lose 30kg
Notice a theme? 30, 30, 30. A loss of 30kg will get me down to a weight I'll be fairly happy with. It's definitely not goal weight, but I'm not looking to be a skinny mini, just happy with my size and a little bit healthier. Getting older I'm noticing a lot more aches and pains (it might just be pregnancy!) and I'm sure my weight has a lot to do with this. I'm looking forward to this challenge a lot.

3. Learn how to apply a good face of make up.
I really like the idea of make up. I love the way some woman can look when they're all dolled up. It's just never been me. I will never be a big make up wearer day-to-day, and I like that, but I would like to know my way around foundations, eyeliners etc so that I can pick it up when I want to. I loooove winged eyeliner for example. Luckily for me I have a very talented make up artist in @blushbabynz as a best friend. Yus!

4. Be more proactive about giving Jake a good life.
This one makes me giggle a little bit, mostly at what Mr. Man will have to say about it. Our dog does get a pretty good deal - he has birthdays complete with cake and presents, Christmas gifts and sleeps on an inner sprung matress of his own (but lets face it, most of the time at my feet at the end of the bed). He's a bit of a spoiled pooch as it is, but I want more for him. I want to make sure he's getting great exercise and trained well, consistently. I want him to see his dog friends more often and make this a priority. I want taking him out and giving him experiences to be just as important as doing that for our girls.

5. Get my half sleeve.
This was in the pipe line before I got pregnant and had to be put off. I have the concept in place. It's just about talking to an artist and getting it done. So excited!

6. Do the Colour Run
This just looks like a whole heap of fun doesn't it? Why wouldn't I want to do this. I wanted to include a few things that were experiences, but also had to be careful about how big or crazy I made these as we'll have 2 children under 5 during this time - hard on money and hard on time.

7. Swim with dolphins
Another experience. This one is on my bucket list, will be pleased to have it ticked off once it's done! Exciting!

8. 52 lists project
I saw this idea on the creator's blog a few months ago and loved the idea. I like the idea of looking into yourself and learning more about yourself and I think this challenge sets itself well to that. Reflecting is such an important part of knowing who we are, what a great opportunity to make time for this.

9. Learn how to do new hairstyles, for me and my two girls
As a teacher I see some excellent little girls up-dos and I am envious! Add to that the cool ideas I see on the net and I'm a green ball of jealousy. But I really want to learn. I'm a perfectionist, so learning will be tough - rogue strands here and there are going to irk me, but I'm determined. I love braids on little girls, there must be some simple ones I can learn. I also want to learn to do some things with my hair. I can brush and somewhat straighten, that's about it at this stage.

10. Write a children's book
This one was suggested by a few people. I desperately wish I could draw well so I could have that input into a book as well, but alas... that talent is completely void in me.

11. Make more money from my blog
I currently make $50 a month from my blog for a small bit of advertising, but I know it has potential. Heck, some people are making a living from their blog. I'd love that! If I'm unable to actually make more money from it then I would at least like to explore the possibilities and know about them. I'd also like to connect to more people through my blog, my comments from people other than those I share with on Facebook have fallen off lately.

12. Master a fancy schmancy 5 course gourmet meal
I love cooking and baking, but I'm quite haphazard in my approach and I definitely wouldn't call anything I make 'fine dining'. My techniques are lacking and basically, if it ain't easy, I'm not making it. This should definitely stretch that.

13. Give back
In writing this I'm not really sure what I'm wanting to achieve. There's no set thing I want to do. On my bucket list I have that I want to support someone in need (think CCF), but I haven't thought of specifics....yet

14. Read 30 books from my 'books to read' list
Here is my list. Nuff said!



15. Give 5 'just because' gifts
I completed a similar goal in my 101 challenge and really enjoyed it. Giving makes ya feel choice. It should be on everyone's goal list, all the time.

16. Have high tea with some friends
I like eating, I like friends... Hehe. I've seen lots of people doing this over the last year or so and have been very envious. Time to get me some!

17. Plant 5 trees in our yard
When we were looking for a new house I had visions of big trees that we could have a tyre swing in. In buying a house that was only 12 years old, that didn't come to fruition, but it doesn't mean we can't have those big trees in a few years time... well, lots of years time. Perhaps a few more fruit trees too. (:

18. Make self-care a priority
 I'm always on the go. To the point where sometimes it's to the detriment of my skin routine or other healthy choices. In 2012 I completed the Life Circle Challenge and I scored myself the lowest in health. I want to change that and make me a priority.....at least for some of the time!

19. Go on more 'photo walks'
 Last year I managed to get 'Digital image of the Year in our photo club, this year, there's no way...simply because I haven't taken enough photos. Other things have gotten in the way and I've been really slack about it. I'm hoping to reignite this passion with this goal.

20. Finish planting, and keep alive my herb and vege garden
Pretty self explanatory right? I'm actually keen to get a lot done in our yard. Hopefully it's not all just good intentions.

21. Have family photos taken again.
We had our lovely friend Lynn take photos of our family in December of 2012. With the new addition lurking and potentially some weight loss on my part, I'd love these updated. 

22. Try a new restaurant once a month in 2015
Easy peasy... now who wants to baby sit for us?

23. Ensure I'm getting the best deal with phone/power/insurance etc companies. Change if need be.
I thought this was a pretty good adulty thing to get sorted before I'm 30! When we went into our first house, with a lot of things I just did what my mum and dad had done and went with the companies they did. I'd like to do some research into this to make sure we're getting the best bang for our buck now. In addition to this I want to know more about how and what we pay, as well as the options. We had a spike in our electricity bill recently and I tried to read our bill (which I just see the dollar amount of and pay it each month, like a deer in headlights.) and found that I couldn't read it! Bout time me thinks.

24. Make a significant change in my work life so that I feel more happy/fulfilled here.
This could be a change from within, or externally. I'm keen to explore some possibilities here. 

25. Make time for video games.
Does this seem stupid to you? "Hey, I want to be more fulfilled in my life, I want to get more out of my time. I know! Video games!" Haha, yeah yeah, laugh it up. The fact of the matter is, I'm a gamer, I love gaming, especially nostalgia games and it makes me sad that I don't make time for them. If I can make time to read I should make time for this other favourite pastime. And who says I can't give myself permission to relax with a good game?

26. Watch some big movies/series that I have never seen.
People look at me in a strange fashion when I explain that I haven't seen films like 'Avatar' or the like. I like smaller movies. I like indie movies. I'm hoping that the IMDb Top 250 might help me out here. I'm hoping that this goal will help me in general conversation!

27. Save up for and splurge on something just for me.
When I saved up for my Kitchen Aide mixer and iPhone I was SO pleased with myself. I want that again.

28. Learn how to make 5 cocktails.
Uhhh, nom!

29. Go to the Waitomo Caves.
I can't remember if I've ever done this and it's a great adventure goal really close to home for us. Looking through lists that other people have made, there were plenty that I was really jealous of but SO unachievable in the time that I have. Perhaps my 40 before 40 (which I'll make in 2016 to give myself 10 years to do) will have things like 'see the Northern Lights' in. I'm sure people on the other side of the world would love to do the Waitomo Caves, so I shouldn't be too down on this one simply because it's a household name around here!

30. Find a musical instrument that Leah would like to play, and buy her one. 
My goal for my girls is to have one (or more) instruments and sports/activities that are theirs. Leah turns 3 in a couple of weeks and probably more towards her next birthday we'll have more of an idea of what she might like? Would be a good 4th birthday present. She loves her little play keyboard and actually has some real rhythm on daddies drums, but you never know.

So that's it! Good list? It fits for me and us considering how late I've left it. As I elude to in #29, I'd like to continue and do the 40 before 40, but give myself some more time and some bigger, loftier goals.

No comments: