Sunday, June 14, 2015

Cocktails! Because no great stories start with someone drinking water...

Goal number 28 in my '30 Goals before 30' is to Learn how to make 5 cocktails.

I'm not even much of a drinker, which is funny. Cocktails are just cool though right? Mr Man laughed his head off when I said I wanted a more prolific alcohol cabinet so I could feel like more of an adult. I always associate a knowledge of alcohols and drinks with a together, hip adult. Haha, how sad is my outlook on the art of being an adult, right?

 Whether I'm right or not, our alcohol cabinet has been fluffed out a lot in the last few months, and is looking quite healthy. Which is what you need for cocktails! Yay.

I'm also two fifths through this goal. I have a huge list of cocktails I'd like to make, but am taking it slowly - like I said, I'm not a big drinker. So far I've made the classic 'Cosmopolitan' and a very tangy 'Japanese Slipper'.

It's been a fun experience. A couple of side goals I'd like to work on is enjoying the cocktails with someone else (Mr Man isn't terribly interested), my best friend has been begging to come over and cocktail it up with me - I owe it to her to oblige, and to make them look more pretty - garnishes etc - as I like to go over the top with anything I do and presentation is never my strong point so it'd be good to improve here.

In any case, here are the cocktails and their mix ratios for you drinking pleasure.

Comso:
2oz Vodka
1/2oz Triple sec (cointreau)
3/4oz Cranberry Juice
1/2oz Lime Juice
Ice
 Fill a cocktail shaker with ice then add vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice and lime juice. (We like the extra bite of extra lime juice, so we use 1/2 an ounce in our cosmopolitan cocktails. However, use what is best for your taste).Shake the cocktail shaker for about 30 seconds until well chilled. Then, strain into a martini glass.Garnish with orange peel/twist. For an extra burst of flavor, peel the orange twist over the filled cocktail glass. This way, the orange oils spray into the glass.


Japanese Slipper:
1 part Triple sec (cointreau)
1 part lemon juice
1 part midori
Mix together in a shaker with ice. Strain into glass, garnish and serve.

 

No comments: