Monday, January 18, 2016

I only see my goals... I don't believe in failure.

Tomorrow...it happens:

I've never really been one of those people afraid of growing old, so I'm just excited what the next wee while has to bring really. My 20s have been fun - getting married, buying houses, having babies...and now I'm looking forward to a decade of getting to know myself more and continuing to grow.

And of course, this means I bid farewell to my 30 before 30 goals, in exchange for my 40 before 40 goals (the big reveal is tomorrow). But first I want to reflect on how I've gone with these 30 goals.

I'm a huge advocate of continual self improvement and my goal challenges help me to do that. 30 before 30 is the third that I've embarked on. Typically with these type of lists you give yourself a good amount of time, but I only came across the concept a couple of years ago, giving me about 14 months to complete the list once I had compiled one I thought was worthy. With all three of the challenges I've done, I've never completed all of the goals, and I don't think that's super important, but something I like to point out. For me, it's the journey and the reason behind why I made the goal and what I've done towards it rather than being able to cross it off - although that's always super satisfying.

With that in mind, let's look at how I went with this challenge.

I did get a pass rate with 18/30 I am happy to say I completed. Some I've put on my 40 before 40 list and others I was very close to finishing but I wasn't happy to say complete.

Mostly I blogged about the ones I had completed as and when, but a few I just went through now and tidied up. You can see the ones I've blogged about by going through the 30 before 30 tag on the right.

I just today crossed off #4: be more proactive about giving Jake a great life. I think I worked toward this one well. My dog gets a good deal to be honest - he sleeps on our bed, he gets a birthday cake and presents as well as spoiled at Christmas time, he's well looked after. I made this goal mostly to be more mindful about the fact and to do some things for him - take him out when we could, not lock him away when people are over - and I feel like I've nailed that.

Another thing I didn't blog about but finished about a week ago was the 52 Lists Project which I see now has been made into a sweet book - future goals? This was a really cool exercise that got me thinking about what makes me, me. I made my templates of the lists, as you can see, but the book you can purchase now looks too good to pass up! Here are my finished lists with a close up of one of my faves - so pretty.


Today in going through I also crossed off numbers 9, 13, 18, 19, 20 and 28. All that I have either done or come so close to it's not worth mentioning where I (think I) have fallen down.

On the list I've marked some of the goals green, which means I've pretty much completed it or am waiting for it to happen. For example, #3 is learning how to apply a good face of make up and one of my friends has purchased me some lessons with a Smashbox make up artist, but the date won't be locked in until it's  not wedding season. Or #5 to get my half sleeve, which is underway, see..

Lastly, there's others in red which just haven't happened and will make an appearance in one way, shape or form in the 40 before 40. Swimming with dolphins being one of them.

And lastly, I've left two of them completely which don't push my buttons anymore. #10: Write a children's book is still something I might like to do one day, but it just 'too hard basket'. I got a few ideas down, but until I have that one idea, nothing can really take fruition. And #11: to make more money with my blog. I've looked into this a little bit. I make around $60 a month from my blog through advertising at the moment and really, without putting more effort into it, I can't. I fall off the blogging wagon from time to time and with 2 kids, a full time job, friends, family, study and all the other crap I seem to do, I can't devote more time to it. Perhaps in the future.

I'm so excited to share my 40 before 40 list tomorrow... I love a new list. So much potential self improvement! I can smell it! Haha.

No comments: