Thursday, January 28, 2016

"All your dreams will come true, if you have the courage to pursue them."

I've had the 40 before 40 list on the go for about 6 months now. I added to it now and again, and the last 10 goals were quite hard to come by. I researched other's lists for inspiration and I put a lot of thought into making sure I was happy with the list.

Here is some of the thought that was put into each one.

1. Write a will
This has been on my 'to do' list for a while and we're lucky it didn't get done prior to the list starting as it's really important to have one. This is one that will be ticked off sooner rather than later.

2. Be that person that always gives great presents (and wrapped amazing too!)
We all know that person, the one who gives great gifts - thoughtful, just right, and wrapped beautifully. I want to be that person. I'm quite an efficient person and sometimes this is at the quality of the output. This goal is part of me slowing down and being more thoughtful and mindful about these sorts of things.

3. Get my masters
I love learning and this is just the next logical step. It'll help me in my career also.

4. Watch the Top 250 IMDB List
This follows on from last years, 'watch some big movies and movie series' goal. I'm planning to re-watch any that I've seen before and watch all 250. Will be tough as it changes now and then as votes are taken, but I gather... I have ten years, right?

5. Learn how to use a proper photo editing tool
It will most likely be lightroom. I've wanted to take this step for a while, but just been using picmonkey as it's easy. From what I have seen though, lightroom (which I'm told is very easy to use) can make simple changes, easily.

6. Learn how to play the guitar (better than 4 chords!) using yousician
I can play a good G... that's about it. Hah! I get by, but I'd like to unlearn some bad behaviours I've been doing for years and learn how to play properly. This is one I'm really worried about as I can hardly find time to do this blog, in addition to all my other things. I don't know where I'll find time. Plus, my nails darling! How will I play with my weeny claws?

7. Make a point of family time, AND individual Leah/Willow/Dadda time.
This is a no brainer. Making time for everyone and being the mother and wife I want to be. I'm dying to have girlie time when the girls are a bit older and I also want to make a point of spending time with Damien, without the girls. I've done some of this in the last year with Leah and it feels great.

8. Go through the 'life circle' goal process again
This was so helpful for me when I did it in 2012. It helped me shape where I was going in life and I often look back on it, read though what I want my future to be like and it refocusses me - something I definitely need from time to time.

9. Participate in at least 40 (yes 40!) events - runs, walks etc
Last year I enjoyed doing the colour run and the mauku fun fun so much that I wanted to do more and more. This puts a quantifying goal on that. 4 a year is so doable and I have a lovely group of friends who are keen to do them with me. Yay!

10. Try something completely new each year of my 30s
There were a few things that I wanted to include on the list, but for a 10 year period, just seemed too small. This one allows me to choose something completely new and different each year. It could be eating something new, a new activity, visiting a new place - Anything!

11. Take the girls (oh and Damien!) to Disneyland
This one is so exciting. Damien and I have only been to Thailand and Australia before, opting to buy a house and have our family earlier rather than do our OE thing. This is always something I wanted to do as a kid and to be able to provide this for our girls will be amazing. 

12. Go to an NRL Grand Final
Another bucket list goal. Hopefully one of our teams will be in the grand final in the next 10 years, but I think it will be an amazing experience no matter who's playing.

13. See at least one show at the theatre each year
Again, something that I love. Making sure I give myself permission to actually go, rather than just think, "oh that would be nice".

14. Finish a whole art journal
Or more importantly, have some time to relax. It's all too often I'm home at night doing school work. Even if I'm watching TV, I have my laptop on and I'm making resources or marking tests with the TV in the background. No more! I want to spend time actively relaxing and leave work at work. Art journaling allows me to have something to do while I watch TV so that I don't fall asleep lol.

15. Learn how to cook the basics AMAZINGLY
I'm not a bad cook, but I want to be a better one. I plan to make a list on exactly what the 'basics' are but at this stage I can't poach an egg - that might need to be #1.. Damien always does it for me. Hehe

16. Write my memoirs
I thought this was a cool idea for many reasons. The first being that it gives me a reason to write, something that's been falling by the wayside recently. The second being, if I was to drop dead tomorrow - how would Leah and Willow remember me? I want to write something for them to remember me by. 

17. Do the A-Z blogging challenge (Aprils) ever year of my 30s
Another reason to write. I need some motivation now and then and this provides a great idea that heaps of bloggers get into.

18. Buy a good set of cooking pans and saucepans
This one is part of me adulting properly and of course adding to improving my cooking abilities.

19. Buy a new ‘Grown up’ dining room table (when the kids aren't going to annihilate it anymore)
Which will probably be closer to when I'm 40. These children are monsters!

20. Have some inside plants that I keep alive longer than a week
Purifying the air and all that jazz. My mum used to have lots of plants in the house and I really liked it. I've tried as a housemaker myself but have often killed things. Need to put some proper effort into them.

21. Have a dish that I take to every event I'm asked to 'not bring anything but yourselves'
I admire people who do this so much. I often get talked out of it by my other half but I think I need to insist that I bring something, to make myself feel better. Making the effort and all that.

22. Throw more dinner parties for family and friends
Again, something the other half often talks me out of. I love having people over and cooking for others. I want to do it more often and for a larger range of friends and family.

23. Nail down a savings plan and stick to it
So important for things like the Disney trip. We could be saving a tonne more than we are now if we (mostly I) wasn't so frivolous with money. This all starts with making a budget then having a little bit of  self control.

24. Give back and teach the girls to give back
I've been more proactive about doing this myself in the past couple of years and it's no a cliche, it really does feel great. I want to bring the girls up knowing how lucky they are and how others aren't necessarily as lucky as them, and that they can use that position to help those in need.

25. Learn to meditate
With those black clouds that loom over me this is an important way to be more mindful and to look after my head health.  I've dabbled a bit in the last few months and I really like it, but it's hard to give myself even 1- minutes when I have reading, blogging, kids, movies etc. It's a tough one.

26. Make a dent in these one day hikes
Exercise and I have a love/hate relationship. I love when I'm doing it but convincing myself to get out and actually do it is another story. I particularly like these long walks as you see parts of the country you don't normally see...and we all know I love a list.

27. Auckland Harbour Bridge Climb
Something cool I'd like to do. I've always liked doing touristy things but often go out of Auckland to do so. With this there's no need!

28. Go Zorbing
I'd actually like to do a few of the things that they have on offer at one of the zorbing places in Rotorua. Another bucket list thing that I want to say I've given a go.

29. Go black water rafting
Damien and I went to the Waitomo caves in 2015 and I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. This is another experience that they offer and it sounds incredible.

30. Own a spa pool 
Cool goal, right? I love our house, absolutely love it, and it would be so freaking cool to have a spa pool here - to cool down in the summer and to warm up in the winter. I can just see myself soaking in the spa and reading my nights away.

31. Read these books
I'm an adult now... 'bout time I read some books for 30 year olds, right? I guess so. Hopefully I don't have to wade through them slowly and I really enjoy what they have to offer :)

32. Do these things in my own 'backyard'
Some of these are complete piss takes, but some of them are really good. I feel like to be a real Aucklander I'll have to do them all - piss take or not.

33. Learn to love my body and treat it like it should be.
All of my previous lists have had something to do with losing weight and I don't want that to be the focus anymore. Yes I know that being a healthier weight will be a part of my future, but I don't want that to take over everything else. I also need a great skin and hair routine and I should be proud of all my body has done for me. After all, I'm gorgeous!

34. Learn how to cook vegetables in a variety of ways that I'll actually eat.
I've grown to hate myself for the fact that I don't like and eat a lot of vegetables, more and more as the years go on. Because I haven't liked them historically I've never learnt how to cook them. I like a lot of veges when I eat out. Enter: this goal.

35Explore Auckland
Refer to #32. Enjoy this beautiful city I live in. Many people pay a lot of money to come here and look around. I think I take it for granted all too often.

36. Swim with dolphins
One from the bucket list. I met and patted some dolphins in Thailand but I'd love to have an experience with them in the water.

37. Have a good, nailed down skin care routine
The older I get, the more important I find this goal. Luckily I have some friends who can make this a very awesome reality for me.

38. Ride in a hot air balloon
This goal actually terrifies me a weeny bit and that's what makes it pretty exciting. I like the idea of the views and the feeling of being up so high. I'm not so much scared of the height as I am of not being in control.

39. Wear more dresses
I look awesome in them, but I'm a big of a dag. I like wearing clothes that are easy to wear, and many dresses are not - I feel restricted in some way, or like I'm taking up too much space, lol. I always, always feel pretty in them though, so I'd like to continue to buy, and wear more.

40.  Have a wardrobe I actually like
I think between being overweight and being a tight arse when it comes to buying clothes for myself, I just hate the bulk of my wardrobe. It's comfy and it's basic. Which is great, sometimes, but definitely not all the time. I admire people who know what to wear and how to wear it and I'd love to develop a style of my own that I'm more happy with.

No comments: