Thursday, September 22, 2011

Where I'm from...

I am from summers dancing in the sprinkler,
from cabbage patch kids and trying to jump as far as we can off swings.

I am from the busy street, parks in both directions, the corner dairy, sweet and sickly.
I am from the daisy chains, towering trees, freshly cut lawns, the bird of paradise. Christmas lillies, clouds from our imaginations.

I am from rainy day monopoly and chunky thighs, from Allan and Isabel and Bev.
I am from the laughers and playing 'silly buggers'.
From "you're never dating until you're 30 aye?" and "if anyone's mean give them a knuckle sandwich".

I am from free spirits, open to make their own choices. Guided by good morals, hearty advice and lengthy teenage 'talks'.

I’m from Aotearoa sprinkled with Scot, Sunday Roasts and Raisin Whities. Baking with mum all day long and having it all vanished by the following day.

From the teenage lovers who made it work, the what became 'rough side of town', and the high street follies caused by naughty sons.

I am from fishing, Mt Camel, sandy toes and solar powered showers. A pie and a milkshake down at the wharf. A silly story and a warm cuddle on a lazy Sunday morning.
From happiness I was made.


And more recently: I am from silly songs and made up words, rottweiler kisses, our own sense of humour. Being taught guitar and snuggles on the couch. Making our own traditions, when two became three (with four legs) and then three became four. <3

Inspired here by Mama Kat.

1 comment:

Ms F said...

How do you have the brainpower to do this with a newborn? Clever. Kids at school would love it too x