Tuesday, August 2, 2016

X marks the spot.


I'm having to get very creative with x....

Xtra. With nothing else to write about for x, I really had to wrack my brain. I came up with 'xtra', you know, the internet provider from the late 90s. My love of the internet began when I was about 10. My brother was paying for our connection I think and I remember having a virtual tiger pet.

I then began talking to people online in my early teens. ICQ and MSN messenger was my 'apps' of choice. I made a lot of cool friends, many that I didn't know and although I wasn't bombarded with the 'Digital citizenship and safety' stuff that kids have today, I didn't get into any trouble.....well, much.

But the biggest thing I remember, from the internet before wifi and the amazing connectedness we have nowadays, was that noise....dial-up. You know it. You hate it, we all did. Especially when it made the engaged sound...ergh!

No comments: