Wednesday, August 3, 2016

"Words have meaning and names have power", Memoirs 2016 #1

This is one of my 40 before 40 goals. I'm going to begin them now, and add to them periodically, so by the time it's my time I'll have something for those left behind to remember me by. That's my thinking anyway. I found this site while compiling my 40 before 40 list and my aim is to get through as much as I can during this decade. What I really want to ensure is that I take my time to write as much as I can about the subject and that I talk to those around me to get their thoughts. Here we go!

What is your full name? Explain why your parents gave you that name.

My full name is Katherine Patricia. I've always quite liked my name, although in my own immediate family I never remember being called 'Katherine'. It was always Kate. There are a few family members that call me Katherine, still to this day, one in particular who calls me 'Kaferine', I think imitating the way my cousins may have said my name when we were kids. Throughout my teenage years I was called 'Kat' and there's many of my friends who refuse to call me anything but. Mostly, nowadays I get called Kate, although there are still those few that call me variations of. One variant that I don't particularly like is 'Kathy'. One of my favourite uncles, my great Uncle Bryce called me Kathy, and he was the only one that I've ever let do it. I'm not sure why I don't like it so much, it's just not for me. Damien's entire family calls me 'Pearcey', which is my maiden name. It kinda makes me feel like one of the boys - hah! - so I let it slide. 

Katherine is a name of latin origin and means pure and clear and Patricia is also of latin origin, derived from the word Patrician, meaning noble. I'm not sure about those things. Pure in particular makes me laugh. I'm in no way your stock standard lady and I swear like an absolute sailor. Noble on the other hand - totally me. I definitely show high moral principles and fine personal qualities - right? 

I spoke to my mum about why I was given the name Katherine and I feel like I need to preface the tale with the fact that one, I'm the fourth child... not as much thought is put into naming your fourth as your first and two, not every name has an amazing story. Mum and dad returned home with me after a couple of days in hospital, a baby with no name. They had a list of names they were running through and mum simply said to dad, "What about Katherine?". Dad liked the sound of it and after running through various spellings of the name, they settled on the classic Catherine, but with a K rather than a C. Mum told me she liked 'Patricia', so that's why it was my middle name. I can see where I get my bossy streak from!

And that's all there is to it, the story of my name. I'm looking forward to writing more of these and sharing more tidbits about my life that you might not know about me.

xx

No comments: